• Traffic Court
    • Criminal Court
    • Civil Cases
    • Small Claims Court
    • Landlord-Tenant Disputes


Richard Alberstadt
Town Justice

Leanne Buchinger
Chief Court Clerk

Email Leanne

845-336-8853, Ext. 1
FAX: 845-431-1992

10:00 am - 2:00 pm


Immediately contact the police agency that issued the ticket.  They will gladly advise you as to the proper date and court.

There are 3 ways to plead to a traffic ticket,  NON-MISDEMEANOR OFFENSES ONLY:

  1. Plea of Guilty: Sign the "Guilty" section on your ticket and mail it to the court.  The Court will then notify you by mail as to your fine and/or surcharge.  Remember to keep a copy of the ticket for your records.
  2. Plea of Guilty with Explanation: Sign the "Guilty" section on your ticket and enter an explanation in the space provided.  You may also attach your explanation on a separate piece of paper.  The court will take your explanation into consideration when assessing the fine.  An explanation will not change the section you were charged with.  Remember to keep a copy of the ticket for your records.
  3. Plea of Not Guilty: Sign the "Not Guilty" section on your ticket and mail it to the court.  The court will then notify you by mail as to your trial date.  Remember to keep a copy of the ticket for your records.

Please keep in mind that the appearance date on your ticket is your first appearance in court.  If you wish to personally speak with the Justice and enter a plea of Guilty, or Guilty with Explanation, you may appear on this date.  If you are pleading not guilty, keep in mind that the date on your ticket is only the date to enter a plea, and not your trial date.

Be sure to always include a complete, correct mailing address for the court!!

If  you are unsure of the charges or how to proceed, then you may need to consult an attorney.  However, this is an individual decision.

If you would like to reschedule your appearance time and date contact the court as soon as possible.

Follow the process documented above in "How Do I Plead to a Ticket?"

  1. In person
    • Cash, Money Order, Certified Check or Credit Card (Visa or Mastercard ONLY). If paying in cash you must have the exact amount of the fine. 
  2. By mail
    • Money Order, Certified Check, or Credit Card (Visa or Mastercard ONLY). Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your receipt.
  3. Online

Personal checks and Faxed payments are not accepted. All payments must be made in US funds.

Contact the court as soon as possible for further instructions.

  • Suspension for failure to appear:
    • This means you have to enter a plea to the ticket.  You should contact the court for the best way to proceed.
  • Suspension for failure to pay:
    • This means you have failed to pay the fine/surcharge amount that was assessed by the court.  You should contact the court for the exact amount that is owed after the suspension is in effect.

The suspension paper sent to you by Department of Motor Vehicles should be returned with you plea or payment so the court may sign it and send it back to you for your proof that the suspension has been lifted.

You must pay the fine/surcharge, and the mandatory lift fee if the license is already suspended, and then the court will lift the suspension immediately.  The court will notify the Department of Motor Vehicles.

The surcharge is a mandatory fee imposed by the State of New York that must be paid on every ticket.

A Supporting Deposition is a legal document composed by the police officer who issued you the moving violation. Supporting Depositions provide you with additional information regarding the basis for the ticket. Many tickets that are computer printed, not hand written, provide Supporting Depositions automatically at the time the ticket is issued and are attached to the ticket itself. Do not request a supporting deposition if one was already provided to you.

The charge will be dismissed if proof is presented to the court that the defect was corrected prior to 1/2 hour after sunset on the first full business day after the issuance of the summons.

In some cases, yes.  In most cases, you have to have a Statement of Correction for Equipment Defect that can be obtained from any police agency or from a certified motor vehicle repair shop.  Contact the court for further information.

No, the small claim action must be filed in the court that has jurisdiction where the defendant lives or works, or has a place of business.  If you are a business you must file in a District Court.  The City of Kingston Court is the District Court in our area.

To file a small claim in civil court it must involve no more than $3,000 in damages.

You must appear in person during court office hours to file a claim.  A small claim can be for money value only up to $3,000. You will need the name and correct address of the person you are filing against. The court will then schedule a hearing date, somewhere between 22 and 45 days from the date you file.  You can click HERE to initiate a small claim.

The filing fees are as follows:

  • If your claim is $1 to $1,000 the filing fee is $10.00
  • If your claim is $1,001 to $3,000 the filing fee is $15.00

Please have the exact amount of your filling fee in Cash or Money Order.